Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fireworks, Champagne and Prayer

The time is flying by ever so quickly. It’s already almost mid-week and I still have so many people to see, so many places to go. And so much food to eat. My mission for today? Falafel. You would think that I would have managed to eat falafel in my first 48 hours here. Alas, not so. I literally just haven’t gotten around to it.


Back to Sunday and what fireworks, champagne and prayer have to do with one another. I spent a good deal of the day with a dear friend catching up on life over the past 3 years. After coffee with another friend, I went to my congregation here. As I suspected, total change. Welcome to Jerusalem. Where things seem to be either ancient (as in Western Wall ancient) or new (uhm...I hardly recognize Yafo). It was delightful to catch up with the few people that are still here from three years ago. Having been on the worship team when I was here, it was a little sad that I knew one of the eight musicians. One. Geez. Nevertheless, it was really great to see a few familiar faces.


After the service, a gaggle (yes, I know that’s a word strictly reserved for geese, but I like it and this is Israel and I can do what makes sense at the time) of us went back to my legendary friend Ina’s house for a birthday party. We were celebrating the younger brother of one of my good friends when I lived here. Surreal. These two guys look and sound alike and I was having flashbacks all night long. Even their sense of humor is similar. But here is the heart of what I observed and was contemplating throughout the evening. Life in Jerusalem, in so many ways, is both the best and worst of times. It’s fabulous. It’s brutal. And as I watched the next wave of people sitting around doing life together the way I and my friends did a few years ago, it brought a smile to my face. And some nostalgia. A few remain of the old guard. But there are mostly new faces and they are learning how to let the Lord get them through the challenges of serving in Israel...just like we did. They’ve learned how to laugh at themselves and each other (kindly, of course)....just like we did. They’ve learned how to lean on each other....just like we did. They’ve committed to letting the Lord refine them in the fiery furnace of Jerusalem....just like we did. It made my heart happy to see it.


We ended the evening around midnight with fireworks (because what’s a good party in Israel without a few fireworks?), champagne and prayers of blessing and encouragement for the guy turning a year older. For me it was especially thrilling to see my friend’s younger brother carry on the torch and to hear his friends encourage him in it. And I was reminded once again of the thing that made my years in Jerusalem so very special. My friends...the ones I laughed, cried, prayed and sat in coffee shops and jazz bars with. There really is no substitute for doing life with people you care about and who care about you. What a gift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home